Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Life is a Highway - It's Not About the Destination, It's About the Journey, Right?


There are pot holes, sink holes, rock slides, head on collisions, drunk drivers, road kill, blinding lights, traffic jams, pollution, road rage, car jackings, etc.

I forget where I was going with this...

There are a lot of references to life being a road or path or some other surface that we'd travel down. I think the reason for that is that we can't visualize the passage of time so we substitute it with some great distance we need to traverse. This helps us to create an image in our head from which we can make all kinds of metaphors and comparisons.

The problem is that I don't have to go down a road; I can just stand there. But I can't suspend my life in an instant; stop and look around. I can't just sit down and relax until I feel like going again. I have bills, responsibilities, children and a whole host of other reasons that make it impossible for me to just stop what I'm doing for a while. I have to keep going down that road whether I want to or not.

The sad reality is that many people do sit down, many people do stop travelling. Whether it be because they quit, they get side tracked, they're tired or they're simply a procrastinator... they continue down that road regardless. Most of us want to do all kinds of things on that road but for one reason or another... we simply don't. We think that we can just put it off for a while and get back to it because the road will always be there.

It's not a road, it's your life.

You're life is only so long and if you don't make the most of it... you'll come to the end of the road and realize that it's too late to make things happen. It's too late to get moving those feet. The road didn't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment